This DIY Fishing Elf On The Shelf takes only 5 minutes to throw together at the last minute!
This is a quick, easy, and simple solution for all of us lazy parents who love holiday traditions but are far too busy or tired to go Pinterest crazy!
This requires only a handful of household items that you likely already have lying around. You can find the full list and instructions below.
Our Elf Tradition
But before we dig into that, let me tell you a little about our Elf tradition.
Our Elf first arrived about 5 years ago, when my eldest was four and an only child. It was our first year in our new home and we decided to jump on the bandwagon.
In reality, I don’t know what took me so long. I’m a sucker for all things holiday and tradition, so this was right up my alley.
Our Elf arrived on the 1st of December and we named him Sparkle.
December 1st Arrival
Ever since then, Sparkle has arrived promptly on the 1st of December bearing a gift. That gift is ALWAYS a LEGO Advent Calendar. So two traditions in one!
Every morning the first order of business is to locate Sparkle and the reward for doing so is getting to open the advent gift for that day.
It got very interesting the year our 2nd child was born…on December 2nd. Luckily my mom was able to pull it off without a hitch!!
Now we have two kiddos and one on the way, so this is a family tradition that will carry us through the next few years. And we love it.
That being said, with each kid and new activity that we add, the more exhausted this mama gets!!
So over the years, my creativity has waned, but we can’t give up on Sparkle.
So I’ve been on the hunt for simple, yet creative ideas for Sparkle. This was one that I came up with all on my own. And it is SO easy!!
DIY Fishing Elf On The Shelf
- Elf On The Shelf
- Pencil w/eraser
- Paper Clip
- Fishing Line (or floss)
- Tin Foil
- Gummy Fish
- Bend your paperclip just enough to have an end that will easily stick into the eraser of your pencil. Securely attach the paperclip to the eraser.
- Place your elf carefully on the vase, or wherever you want them to fish from.
- Strategically place the pencil between his arms + legs, securing the other end underneath & behind his bum. [We just propped it against one of the ornaments]
- Tear off a square of foil and slightly crumple it to look like water. Place it below your Elf & ‘fishing pole’
- Cut a piece of fishing line or floss to the appropriate length for your setup.
- Tie one end to the paper clip and the other around a gummy fish
- Disburse a handful of other fish upon the foil
- Tah-dah – all done! So simple!!!
I hope this DIY fishing Elf On The Shelf idea saves you some time and makes your kids smile!
Stay tuned for a list of other Elf ideas coming soon! In the meantime, check out my Elf On The Shelf Pinterest board for ideas!
Thank you for taking the time to visit here on my site. I hope you know that I truly appreciate you!
Wishing you a lovely and low-stress holiday season! If you need more help, I highly recommend Ruth Soukup’s FREE Holiday Planner. It will walk you through the steps you need to survive the entire holiday season!!
If you need more detailed help or are looking to simplify your holidays, then you should consider Allie Casazza’s A Merry Little Christmas mini-course!
Thanks again for visiting…I hope to see you again soon!!
LIKE IT? PIN IT!
DID THIS HELP?
Let me know in the comments below!